In the Photographers SEO Book I recommend photographers use keyword rich domain name URLs. Keyword use in the root domain is of high importance, and when people learn this they immediately think about buying up domains with quality keywords.
The rub is when photographers don’t want to give up their old domain because of technical hurdles, its on print materials, whatever. A light goes on to just forward the new keyword-rich domain to the existing domain.
If you read the ebook, you know that Google ranks sites primarily based on 2 factors: text on the page and links pointing to that page. Once you forward a domain, it no longer has any text underneath it. If you’re doing proper SEO, then you aren’t spending time building links that point to the new domain because it simply redirects. So a brand new forwarded domain will not aid in ranking because nothing is behind that URL where Google can assign value.
How We Help You Rank
You'll understand SEO.
- The Photographer's SEO Book is the industry standard reference guide for optimizing photography websites.
- The Virtual SEO Workshop is the same one we give to expensive in person seminars.
- Blog Zen SEO and 7 other ebooks and videos.
And get exposure, links, and contacts.
- We promote you from our sites, which means exposure and links.
- Because we promote you, we only work with established, talented photographers and photography-related businesses - those who deserve to rank. We decline membership for those who don't fit. That means you're in a community of equals.